Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Card, Tutorials, and challenges!

I have been BUSY these past few days since I have posted last - and I'm not talking about moving! I have found some GREAT blogs with a TON of tutorials that I have been trying out and LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! I have been working on the same card for three days straight b/c I have re-done every little detail until I was satisfied. And I am! here's what I have been up too:

Products Used: Tim Holtz Distress Inks in Broken china and Antique linen, Diamond Dust, Royal Blue puffy paint, Martha Stewart's floral lace edge punch, Papers are basicgrey's offbeat collection and Bella Bella by Carina Gardener, The sentiment is from a rub on set by Kelly Panacci, The words covering the bottom paper are stamped using Friendship Writing by Hero Arts, butterfly was made by using the Beautiful Butterfly stamp by Hampton Art, Flowers were in my stash and I pinned them on using glitter brads by We R Memory Keepers, the stamp was a freebie from Sliekje digi stamps, lastly I stiched around the image using Cutter Bee piercing bugs.

Oh where to start!? There is SO much to talk about with this one!! But as usual I will start out by saying that this card will go in the celebration tab of my card box. I don't know the gender of the newest niece/nephew that's coming my way, but with the big move coming up I want to be prepared for either - so another card to come soon (hopefully!) hehee

I was browsing around some blogs looking at tutorials to take a stab at some new and fun techniques, but I hit a gold mine at Angelica's Scrappenings. She has a way to save money in all these creative ways!! (More links to specific techniques coming!!)

For this card I followed a sketch going on over at the Paper Take Weekly Challenge. I really enjoyed this sketch and am saving it to my desktop for future uses!

The butterfly I made is called 3D butterfly and can be found HERE. I have really been getting into using butterflies and flowers lately, and it ends up adding up by going to my local craft store to keep buying them. I have shown you flowers I have created by hand - there are sooooo many tutorials out there to make handmade flowers and they're so simple! Well now this butterfly can be added to my bag of tricks and it pops off the page so beautifully that it looks like it's just going to fly away - stunning!

I also followed another tutorial to make my own crystal swirls - click HERE to go to the tutorial. I will be using crystal swirls on EVERYTHING now! It's soooo easy to do and you can resize your image to fit any project - LO or card. I also love that I can make them any color. I did royal blue here with some puffy paint I had in my stash. Odd enough, when my grandmother gave me this huge bucket of paints I was thinking I will never have a use for these - well tada! I have a use!! And they will be USED big time. I scanned all my swirls and saved them as word documents - so I have an entire stash of them at my disposal! Try it out - you'll be hooked!

This is my first time using Diamond Dust, and OH BOY! I love love love this stuff! (not the clean up part though, hahaha) I used Aleene's tacky glue and a paint brush to outline the rectangle's and then dipped them into the dust and WOW! This stuff makes any piece of paper just STUNNING! I enjoyed using it and have a feeling I will be putting it on EVERYTHING! heehee, it's pretty addicting :)

Another cool thing I got from Angelica's blog was a way to make your own glue dots! Yes, really! After a very sad trip to my local craft store with only ten bucks and eyes taking in everything in the store, I realized a graduate student's budget isn't meant for a crafter like me. hehee. But I am one to cut corners where ever I can, and I new that I would figure something out. And then I found this tutorial. I just had to pick up the Aleene's glue and WOW... it really does work! I found a ton of sticker sheets that were half used in my stash, and I just cut off the halves that weren't being used. I dotted away and let them dry over night. This morning I peeled one off and it comes off without hardly trying! And they are sooooo sticky! Please please please give this a try! It's simple and I promise you it works sooooo well. Plus you can get a lot of glue dots - and any size you want - without paying for those expensive glue dot boxes in the different sizes from the store.

Ok, I think this post is getting pretty long so I'll end it here. But don't fret! I have soooo many more fun tutorials to try and I'll post them here once I do!! You're going to love the new things I've discovered!

Challenges I'm entering this card into:
Crafty Sentiments Digital Delights - 3 design papers (I used two as rectangles- one horizontal under the image mostly, and the other verticle under the butterfly and swirl, the third I turned into the lace and the butterfly has that same paper)
All Sorts Challenge Blog - Baby/child (I used the little boy stamp)
Paper Play Challenges - Blue, Cream, +1 (my plus one was brown - can you tell? hehee)
Totally Gorjuss - Congrats! (I added the sentiment right under the image)
Stamp Something - Flowery (I added the baby blue flowers, the lace has small floral detail, and the butterfly also has small floral details in it)
Wild Orchid - Lovely Lace (I used paper lace)
Stamp and Create - Stitching (I stitched all four sides of my image)
Paper Take Weekly - Sketch (I also mentioned this above)
Design Dollies - Element week 4 - Recipe: Baby Blue (got it!), Ink (I inked all the edges of EVERY paper with Tim Holtz distress inks, inked the butterfly and flowers, and inked the back ground paper with a friendship stamp), Masking (I tried my first attempt on the background paper, it's mostly covered up and you only can see bits of it. I wasn't too thrilled with my first attempt, but I'll definitely keep trying), Newspaper/Words (I used the large friendship stamp to cover the entire cream paper with blue writing), and Stripes (I have striped paper).

Hope you enjoy all these links and try out these techniques if you haven't already!
Tata for now!

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful Card so cute....

    Thanks for joining us and showing us your lovely creation at Crafty Sentiments Digi Blog - 3 design paper challenge!

    Big Hugs Jo xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A really super cute card! I love the colours and embellishing!

    Thx for joining us at Totally Gorjuss and hope you can join us for the next challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow all your hard work certainly paid off its a great card, thanks for joining us over at Crafty SEntiments Digi Design Blog. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the dimension :)
    Thanks for playing along with Design Dollies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!
    That is a really pretty card. Love those embellies. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    My Journal
    http://sherriesjournal.blogspot.com/2010/07/design-dollies-elements.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the bling and the cute image! Thanks for playing with us at Crafty Sentiments Digi Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How pretty! Thanks for joining us at Crafty Sentiments Digis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorjuss card. love the colours. ty for joining us at CSDD xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! Thanks for taking part in our challenge at Crafty Sentiments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful card! Fabulous colouring and layout and I love all your precious details, you really make everything so special. Thanks for playing at Stamp Something, hope to see you back next week!
    Hugs
    Annika

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww the image is so cute! lovely card

    thanks for taking up my challenge this week at Allsorts

    lotsalove

    Amanda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. you rocked the recipe, Kris! love all the yummy inking, and all the elements you've used look fab together! thanks so much for joining us in the Dollhouse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a lovely card! The colors and details are gorgeous! Thank you for joining us at Wild Orchid Challenge!
    Hugs,
    April

    ReplyDelete